Díaz de la Cuesta, who is a former head of the National Assembly of Venezuela, told Reuters news agency the war between the two countries over the ownership of oil reserves is a “dirty war”.
“The Cuban government is in the process of confiscating the Venezuelan oil and the Venezuelan government is trying to steal that from them.
They are the two sides that are going to have to go to war,” he said.
The two countries have not had a peace treaty since the 1959 revolution.
But Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro has vowed to protect the oil reserves, which he said are “the only economic resource” left for his country.
“I will fight for the Venezuelan reserves, because that’s what’s important,” he told state television on Wednesday.
“They belong to the Venezuelan people.
They belong to me.
We have a right to defend them,” he added.
Venezuela’s oil minister said last month that the Cuban government had the right to seize the country’s oil, and that the government was preparing a lawsuit.
Vermont, one of the world’s top exporters of crude oil, is one of Venezuela’s main suppliers of natural gas to the United States and Europe.